13 Responses to GoodGuide Just Got a Big Update!

1. Ula Renetskis says:

Hello,
    I just found this website a few days ago and fell in love with it. I opened it up today to research some environmentally friendly and ethical products, and got really upset to see the changes. I loved searching for the ratings that were specific to environmental impact– to be honest that’s my main concern, along with the way companies treat their employees. This new rating methodology is flawed in my opinion; a product can have a score of 6 or 7 and there’s no way to tell how the company impacts the environment or how they treat their workers. Before, this made my shopping much easier, but now I’m back to square one with the tedious researching. I’m really upset and was wondering if there are any alternative websites that I could use to find what I need, perhaps by the same company or just something completely different.
    Ula Ren

• Bianca Beland says:

I agree with Ula! I received an email reply stating that an alternative to GoodGuide’s old social and environmental ratings was csrhub.com but it is an absolute nightmare to navigate, it’s super slow, and doesn’t even have the brands I specifically want to research! Not to mention, they have a paid subscription to see the really important aspects of companies. It’s an awful comparison to GoodGuide if you ask me.

• Phil says:

Completely agree with everything in this comment. I was always made CG more interested in the environmental and social impact rather than the nutrition and ingredients. I’d also like to know of alternatives that do what GoodGuide used to do. I’ve only seen Buycott do something related, but using it is kind of a mess and wasn’t as consolidated and nearly as comprehensive as the former GoodGuide. I” really hoping someone comes along and develops a site and/or app with a product ratings database that is more focused on environmental and social impact.

2. Alex says:

I’m so sad about the loss of social and environmental impact data! It would be great to have the option to show or hide the data, so users who want to see it can do so and those who don’t don’t have to.

Especially given how varied folks’ dietary and medical needs are, a one-size-fits-all health score doesn’t help me very much. Nutritional data are already required to be provided on food, so this service doesn’t add much information for me. I won’t be using GoodGuide in its current form at all when I can just go read a Nutrition Facts label.

BUT environmental and social impact data aren’t generally required to be provided, so your service added a TON in that regard. Please consider bringing it back as an option.

Thanks,
    Alex

3. Jenny Bravo says:

Hello,
    As a huge fun of your initial idea of evaluating the entire impact of any given product of company, I am immensely disappointed about this change. Your site was the only one to help me make an informed choice. It’s very sad that you gave in to those amongst your users who don’t care.

4. Mary says:

I would love to give the app a try but can never seem to get a chance. Every time I start searching, the app crashes and I lose all my work. I’ll start typing and – bleep – it shuts down and I’m back to square one. Hopefully this will be fixed because I love the idea of the app and would love to see it working. Not only that, but it does have some glitches. I went to type in foundation and after I had the whole word typed, it said “no results”. Odd, right? Since they have makeup categories. But when I backspaced to “founda—-” then it shows me results. Only seconds before the app crashed, of course. Love the idea, app needs work. I look forward to an update.

• Amanda says:

Hi Mary – We’ve made many updates recently to the app and are seeing very few crashes or errors. If you try to use it again, we’d love to hear your feedback. You can reach us anytime at goodguidehelp@ul.com

5. Grayhawk says:

Am new to this site and am pleased with the new rating system. The most important thing is to determine what is healthy to put in our bodies. Yes, the other factors are important, but health is primary. To exaggerate: A company make rat poison. It treats it employees great and it is so environmentally conscious that no waste from manufacture leaves the plant untreated for safety, but the product is not good to eat !!

6. cyn says:

Looking for environmentally friendly and ethical products/companies was one of the top 2 reason’s I used this website. I doubt I could that information connected to a specific product anywhere else! PLEASE PLEASE put that information back! It’s not that it took up a ton of space on a page.

• Amanda says:

We hear you! The type of data we relied on for those company level ratings limited the type of companies we could rate.

Now that we are a part of the UL family, we are fully equipped to handle product and ingredient safety throughout the supply chain. By doing this, we will be able to deliver more accurate ratings to more products based on ingredient safety.

There is a really good, very complete resource where you can find environment and society type ratings for companies. CSR Hub. Here’s a quick link to the search page, where you can search by company name, along with many other filter/browse options: https://www.csrhub.com/csrhub/

I hope this helps!

7. I’m so sad to see the environmental and social ratings gone. I thought the 3-pronged approach to the ‘goodness score’ was one of the coolest features of GoodGuide and the primary differentiator between competitors such as ThinkDirty

• Amanda says:

We agree, the environment and society scores are really important to many consumers who are trying to make more informed decisions before their next purchase. The type of data we relied on for those company level ratings limited the type of companies we could rate.

There is a really good, very complete resource where you can find environment and society type ratings for companies. CSR Hub, https://www.csrhub.com/, has a free-of-charge database of reviewed & rated companies. Here’s a quick link to the search page, where you can search by company name, along with many other filter/browse options: https://www.csrhub.com/csrhub/. Hope this helps!

8. Sunny says:

I preferred the old site layout and don’t find this an improvement. Sad.