I was recently invited by the Designers Accord to contribute to a really interesting series called “Sustainability in 7” that is now running on Core77 the sustainable design blog. Designers Accord asked people to speak for 2 minutes or less on the “7 things every designer should consider when integrating sustainability into design practice.”
Here are my quick sustainability design principles:
- Design for the life-cycle of the product.
- Design to reduce the largest impacts – focus on the hot spots.
- Design for service, not stuff.
- Design for transparency – tell the story behind your products.
- Design for feedback and learning.
- Design for the end-of-life.
- Design to make sustainability beautiful, cool, and hip.
Check out the short video below.