US Products Being Pulled from Shelves in China

File this under “Ironies of the Global Economy.” We just learned that Chinese Supermarkets are removing Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo from their shelves based on a recent report from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics that found 1,4-Dioxane and formaldehyde in some baby shampoos and bubble bath products.

The US Department of Health and Human Services “considers 1,4-dioxane as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.”

“We have to be responsible to consumers and suspend sales of these products until they are proved safe,” said Gan Pingzhong, quality supervision department manager of Nonggongshang, a retailer with 3,500 stores in China.

Back home in the US, the FDA:

“has not established or recommended a specific limit on the level of 1,4-dioxane in cosmetics.”

And Johnson & Johnson asserts that these are only trace quantities of 1,4-Dioxane, so all of their products are safe.

Nonetheless, stores in Taiwan and Vietnam were also pulling Johnson’s baby shampoo from their shelves. And the Chinese government announced that they will test these products for their safety.

About Dara O'Rourke

Associate Professor at UC Berkeley and Co-Founder of GoodGuide.
This entry was posted in Home and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to US Products Being Pulled from Shelves in China

  1. Dara.

    Why is this something to file under "Ironies of the Global Economy"?

    Look at the largest recalls, and they are all based in the US, and as for all those shoddy Chinese products from a couple years back… most of those were within a foreign supply chain… i.e. if was Mattel’s own design flaws (not their Chinese supplier) that cause 80% of the problems, and the other 20% (lead paint) was a result of Mattel not testing their suppliers as per their own codes.

    So.. lose that comment, and focus on the FDA who are clearly willing to accept just about anything as being safe.

    r
    http://www.allroadsleadtochina.com
    http://www.cleanergreenerchina.com

  2. Sikantis says:

    What an insight/

  3. Stacy says:

    But, if you look at this further, you’ll see that J&J was "cleared" and the products are still being sold. Read further, and you’ll note is was a few parents complaining about skin issues. I’m not so sure I love your reporting methods, here… though I am certainly not one to consider J&J products to be "safe" and would never use them, myself…

  4. Read further, and you’ll note is was a few parents complaining about skin issues. I’m not so sure I love your reporting methods, here… though I am certainly not one to consider J&J products to be "safe" and would never use them, myself.
    ======================================
    shane
    <a href="http://www.castlebaths.com&quot; rel="dofollow">Bath Products</a>

Comments are closed.