Same mission, better everything!
We hear from GoodGuide consumers often, mostly by email with questions about how to use GoodGuide better. Consumers want to know how they can save products to lists, make notes, create shopping lists, request new product ratings, and share product information with their social networks.
Our team worked through the Summer to make many of these changes come to life.
1) Create a GoodGuide account! With an account, you will be able to review products using your own words, easily ask our team a question, and flag products as favorites (thumbs up) or skip (thumbs down).
2) Share your findings with friends and family! Did you just find the rating of your favorite shampoo or ingredient information that may be useful to family or friends? Hit the share button to send it to Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest.
3) Request a product rating. We’re excited to announce that you can now submit product rating request through your account. When a product you requested is rated, you’ll get an alert in your account.
4) Sort and find products faster. We realize that it can get tricky to sort and filter through thousands of products that are in our current catalog of rated products. Give our filters another try — start with a site search, then apply filters for ingredients or categories you’d like to include, exclude or focus in on. Below is an example search for “toothpaste” using the Traits and Ingredients to Include Filters to help narrow the list of products that fit what I’m looking for.
5) Check out that cool new hamburger menu. Most website visitors don’t really notice these kinds of things, but we moved the navigation options to the left side — which makes it easier to quickly navigate the categories you’re looking for.
6) Ratings change: Long-time users of GoodGuide are certain to notice a big change with our October 2016 release. Our ratings now focus on the health impacts of products only–GoodGuide no longer includes company-level ratings of a brand’s environmental or social performance. We have removed company ratings in response to user feedback. Many consumers want to make product choices based solely on the level of health concern associated with a product’s ingredients. Our original rating system made this difficult to do because GoodGuide scores combined product-level health issues (one-third of a product’s score) with company-level environmental and socials issues (two-thirds of a product’s score). Our new rating system focuses on a product’s health score.
We are sure that the removal of company-level ratings will be missed by some of our loyal users, because we know our audience also includes many who shared our founding goal of helping consumers make informed purchasing decisions that reflect their preferences and values, including consideration of the environmental and social performance of companies. We are interested in getting feedback on this change, so please be sure to contact us at GoodGuideFeedback@ul.com if you feel strongly about this change.
Most of these changes are expected to happen on your favorite website. For us, this means a new foundation with many new features forthcoming.
We love to hear from GoodGuide users, send us a note with your comments to email@example.com.